Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Flooding Creeks

Are you a "Hell or High Water" or "Lord Willing and the Creek Don't Flood" kind of a person?

On Sunday our "Investors Class" wound up in this quick discussion during our study of James chapter 4. This question came from James 4:13-17
13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. 17Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

Basically, do you try to do everything in your own power as you think it should be (Hell or high water) or do you acknowledge God and consult God first, asking for help (Lord willing and the creek don't flood)?

It is so hard to remember to ask in all things. In the morning "Lord, what do you want me to do today?" Throughout the day "Lord, what do you want me to do about this? Lord, what should I do now?" At the end of the day "Lord, did I do as you asked? Lord, what can I do better for you tomorrow?" Etc., etc., etc..

Sure, it is easy (easier?) in the big stuff. "Lord, is this the house for us?" "Lord, is this the job you want for me?" But what about the everyday? What about in the grocery store? "Lord, who can I witness to here today?" What about with your kids "Lord, what should I say today? Lord, what can I teach them today? Lord, how can I model your love to them today?"

Life changes dramatically every time I try to keep God with me in everything. I have an easier time of it when I listen to the Christian radio stations all the time. It helps keep Him forefront in my mind. (Radio streaming online at Praise 106.5 and Spirit 105.3) I am more productive, happier, and the kids are happier as well... well, usually. :-)

We are thinking about T-shirts:

Just kidding!

No comments: