Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Catching Up

Trying to catch up on some older pictures I have waiting around for ... somthing? Might as well put them on the blog.

My newest favorite kitchen gadget (that I have actually had for quite some time, but recently refilled and remembered its goodness...)


It is just a shaker, but it works so well for powdered sugar. I bought it years ago for using in my cake decorating class to powder the fondant, but it is so nice to have for sprinkling on waffles or the tops of chocolate cakes that don't need frosting but a little perk of color. I just slip a piece of cling wrap under the lid for storage and it stays nice and fresh. It works so much better for me than powdered sugar and a spoon. That never works well.

Here is my favorite no frosting necessary chocolate cake recipe from my 7th grade home ec. class. No eggs, no milk. Easy and quick! (I mean you mix the whole thing in the pan it bakes in kind of quick! And obviously simple enough for a 7th grader.


Wacky Cake

1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. flour (sifted)
3 T. cocoa (not packed)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
6 T. oil
1 T. vinegar
1 c. water

In ungreased cake pan (any shape - usu. 8"x8") combine first 5 ingredients. Stir until well blended. Make 3 holes and add vanilla, oil and vinegar. Pour water over entire pan. Stir with a fork until all lumps are gone, and all dry ingredients are moistened. Place in the oven, on middle rack. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes.

No comments: